Thursday, October 13, 2005

Wait or my God will shoot !

It was Sunday evening and instead of staying indoors and watching the regulation Telugu movie, I happened to sit on the wall of my balcony and quite comfortably too. Although the width of the wall does not allow for great coziness, my small bum would help me. One of the very few advantages of being skinny… I guess. It doesn’t matter how narrow is the passage or how small a chair... you can just pass through or sit on…

Another reason that I sat outdoors in spite of my regular habit was the weather. It rained kittens and puppies the afternoon. Nature’s audiovisual department so was busy. I could hear thunder and see lightning. I don’t have much to write on thunder as it has become commonplace now with my mother shouting most of the time in house and so has become a household commodity. But lightning was still a relative rarity. It looked as if the flashbulb of nature’s Kodak was being used. Or as my mom would say it was gods from above… and with all due respects to some of the feminists it was both gods and goddesses from above… But gods are different, aren’t they… keeping the tradition that they are inapproachable, inaccessible and undecipherable and therefore be feared, respected… they shot our photographs from above when we least expect them… so when the flash bulb flashes, I was not ready... no body else was. And my mom would make a grimace and say I am a bad photographer when I do that to her… so in the same respect god is also a bad photographer… he doesn’t say 1-2-3-ready when he shoots stills… but it is said that good photography entails that “the shot” does not know that he is being shot… so what comes out of this is that god is a bad photographer (as my mom would say) but practices good photography. Paradox of sorts… but enough of chaos that my mom could not possibly understand and that makes god godlier for her…
And an even more bigger paradox is that I had to see a tamil devi movie when I get back indoor (ok... I only had to listen to it)

Written on 6th April 2003

No comments: